ST. ANDREW PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
August 19, 2014
CALL TO ORDER: Fr. Angel called the meeting to order at 7:35 P.M.
PRESENT: Fr. Angel, Shari Loback, Patti Soukup, Lauren Bandler, Patti Wright, Cevin Moses, Enrique Rodriguez, Dan Seuser, Paul Schmelzer, John Chovanec
ABSENT: Jim Stiles, Tom Bertrand, Tina Janssen
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: June, 2014 Parish Council minutes approved.
- DePietro Design Assoc. met with the Gathering Space Committee to discuss options/ideas.
- Fr. Angel has hired Shelley Koch for the part-time Admin Assistant position.
- Cindy Morales has been hired as Director of Religious Education and Administrative Assistant part-time at the school.
- Fr. Angel’s brother has volunteered to act as the Bilingual Administrator for our Parish.
- Fr. Angel is working closely with a company to have a statue of Saint Andrew made for placement on the altar.
- Cemetery funding is low. Ideas welcome on how to increase funding. (Sell lane names, one suggestion)
- John Chovanec and Fr. Angel have been working together to create the “Let the Children Come to me” Fund, which is a tuition assistance program for parish families. Donations will be accepted during church.
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES AND FINANCE– Tina Janssen:
- Neill Flood provided a list of needs from the outside of the parish buildings. The committee will be meeting to review needs on the inside of the buildings. Re-striping the parking lot is the top priority and to be done shortly. Replacing of the lot to come most likely in the next spring/summer when school is not in session.
- Bequest of $700,000.00 (Parish) & $875,000.00 (School) has been sent to the Catholic Community Foundation for investing in our Endowment Fund. A motion was passed that $500,000 of the school portion be maintained in the endowment fund (just as $500,000 is to be maintained in the parish endowment fund). The income from the fund could be used to supplement future school needs.
- Accepted offer on Robert Brown Property of $62,000 to close on August 29, 2014
- 2014-15 Budget was approved on 7/19/14 and sent to the Archdiocese on 8/15/14.
Finance committee meetings will be changing to the 2nd Tuesday of the month beginning on September 9th.
HUMAN CONCERNS– Patti Soukup
- Men’s Homeless Shelter is preparing for opening and in need of volunteers.
PRAYER AND WORSHIP– Paul Schmelzer
- Liturgy for the Mass of Remembrance is scheduled for November 5th
- Discussed inventory of liturgical supplies and there are concerns for setup of the 7:30 and 9:30 Masses.
COMMUNICATIONS– Shari Loback:
- Shari Loback is investigating the various Robo Calling services to deliver a weekly/monthly message from Fr. Angel to parishioners.
- ½ of the Bulletin Board in the back of Church will now be used for Parish Communications. This will include Parish Council minutes.
DREAMING AND VISIONING– Patti Wright:
- St. Andrew’s will host a Mission during Lent in 2015. Father Ed Shea has been invited to perform the Masses.
- The Hispanic Community has offered to host the Harvest Pot Luck this year. The dinner is scheduled for October 19, 2014. A full Mexican Meal will be provided but those attending will be asked to bring a beverage or dessert.
- Women in Christ Conference is scheduled for November 1st in Milwaukee. Theresa Watts is working on advertising for this event.
- An Assembly of the Councils/Ministries is scheduled for October 25th at 9:00 a.m. in the school cafeteria. The purpose of this meeting is to gather all people involved with either a committee or a ministry to talk about our individual committee/ministry goals and how we can work together to share a common goal for our Parish.
- Dishing with the Disciples planning is underway. October will either be Ask the Priest (Fr. Angel) or a Palium Lecture. November will have a guest speaker from Columbia St. Mary’s in Milwaukee. The speaker is a physician recommended by the Archdiocese who will discuss “Death and Dying” and the Catholic Church’s view on each topic.
SCHOOL COMMITTEE– Lauren Bandler:
- The committee has met for the first time to kick off 2014-15 school year and discussed their goals for the year. The goals decided upon are: Promote the school better; rate our school by benchmarking against other schools in the area; explore uniforms for students.
- School committee meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month.
HISPANIC LEADERS COMMITTEE– Enrique Rodriguez:
- Fiesta Festival is scheduled on Saturday, September 13th. They are hopeful that the entire Parish Community attends.
BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS– Dan Seuser:
- Buildings & Grounds has not met over the summer.
PARISH LIFE– Cevin Moses:
- Portrait Sessions are complete however, the office is still gathering submitted photos from those that did not attend a portrait session.
- A parish picnic was a huge success.
- Dinners for 8 will begin in November. Gretchen Wolfer and Giovanna Moses are heading up the organization of the program.
- The committee is looking at starting a “Movie Night” once a month in the cafeteria following Saturday night Mass. They would possibly offer dinner (i.e. pizza, hot dogs) along with the movie.
- Parish Life will be meeting on the 1st Tuesday of every month at 5:30 in the rectory. They are looking for new members.
- Patti Wright has been moved to Secretary of Parish Council and liaison for Human Concerns.
- Patti Soukup will be liaison for Dreaming and Visioning/ Christian Formation
GATHERING SPACE PROJECT– Lauren Bandler:
- Committee is still discussing the goals of the space and evaluating options.
BY-LAWS– Fr. Angel:
- Shelley Koch will work with Paul Schmelzer and Dan Seuser to review the by-laws and identify any needed updates.
- Revise Mission Statement of Parish: Fr. Angel, Cevin Moses and Shari are working to revise the St. Andrews Mission Statement. Other parishioners will be consulted upon request. Options will be presented on October 25th during the Assembly of the Councils/Ministries.
- Strategic Planning & Audit: Tabled until next meeting due to time restraint.
- Focus on More Community Outreach: Tabled until next meeting due to time restraint.
- Letter to Parish & Survey: Fr. Angel and Shari Loback are developing a letter to the parish community and a survey through Survey Monkey to evaluate the needs of our parish.
- Phone system upgrade: There is a need to upgrade the phone system for the parish and school to ensure calls are answered and can be easily transferred between buildings.
- Workshop at Notre Dame: John Chovanec reported that he, Sean Donagan and Fr. Angel recently attended a workshop at Notre Dame where they learned how to make our school more visible and gained ideas on becoming more welcoming to both English and Hispanic communities.
ADJOURNED: A motion to adjourn by Lauren Bandler, seconded by Paul Schmelzer at 9:00 P.M.